[sylpheed:36937] Re: gmail auth problem

Anton Shepelev anton.txt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:29:29 JST 2020

G.A. L.F:

> Google considers the authentication mechanisms less secure
> because the credentials are being sent over the
> communications channel (and yes, they know fully well that
> POP3S uses TLS).  Google has been trying to make this push
> for users to switch to using OAuth 2.0 API over password-
> only authentication for quite some time now.

That's terrible.  It means breaking of many existing mail
clients that have worked for 20 years without a single upgrade.
Google want to turn every computer in the world into a
Android device with its interminable stream of upgrades.
They won't even let people the right of choice to stay with
the old protocols, which are much simpler.

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.