[sylpheed:36809] Re: using a python program to send e-mail with sylpheed

Ranjan Maitra maitra at gmx.com
Sat May 4 23:21:17 JST 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019 22:43:06 -0500 Rich Coe <rcoe at wi.rr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2019 08:58:23 -0500
> Ranjan Maitra <maitra at email.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 May 2019 08:44:32 -0500 Rich Coe <rcoe at wi.rr.com> wrote:

> > > You are bypassing the existing, working smtp client in sylpheed with another,
> > > exactly similar, smtp client which you have made in python.
> > >
> > Thanks for writing. You are correct, but my workplace requires me to
> > access e-mails using MS Graph. I have successfully figured out the
> > send/retrieves, but would still like to use sylpheed.
> > Hence it is essential for me to figure this out. I do not want to
> > go away from using sylpheed.
>
> I used to have to inteface sylpheed with exchange.  I used davmail,
> http://davmail.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> One way to solve your issue is to write a server similar to davmail that
> talks the MS server for mail using 'Graph' (rest) and does smtp/pop/imap for
> interfacing with sylpheed.
>
>     MS-Mail  <--->  your server program  <--->  sylpheed
>
> You could write it in python, but you do not want it to read/write to the
> terminal because the server will be running in daemon mode.
> A common way to solve this problem is to have a config file that contains
> the necessary creditentials and configuration in a file that is read by
> the program at startup.

Rich,

Thank you very much for this. Would you happen to still have the configuration files that you used? I am simply trying to first get hold of an example, since the instructions for how to use an external send program are not very clear. My first objective is to understand how sylpheed connects with the server program.You may send to me by private e-mail with the same e-mail id (my last name) but gmx dot com in case you do and would not mind sharing them.

I did consider writing the message to be sent to a file using sylpheed, and then a cron job with the python script clearing that out one by one, but I could not figure how to do that (or if it could be done).

Btw, I found last night that someone had already made a package for similar things that I was having to do on the python side of things.  https://github.com/O365/python-o365. I still have to add the third-party authentication to this, but this gives the lines of what I need to do.

My goal here is to make a sylpheed plugin (if I can figure that out) and then release it to the community so it needs to be general.

Many thanks again and best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Ranjan Maitra <maitra at gmx.com>