[sylpheed:36786] Re: Sylpheed and high CPU usage in some folders

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Sat Apr 6 16:22:43 JST 2019

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 16:41:05 +0100
Antonio Ospite <ao2 at ao2.it> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 14:56:10 +0200
> Rien Mertens <rien at mertensmaatwerk.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:14:20 +0200
> > Antonio Ospite <ao2 at ao2.it> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It's a week or so that Sylpheed 3.6.0 on my Debian unstable machine
> > > takes a lot of CPU when exploring some folders with a lot of
> > > messages.

Ah I forgot to reply to this message, I did find the cause of the high
CPU usage, it was cause by interaction with the gail and atk-bridge GTK
modules.

Details in https://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/redmine/issues/295#note-2

In my case disabling the module, or unsetting the GTK_MODULES env
variable, was a viable workaround:

$ GTK_MODULES="" sylpheed

I remembered about this when seeing some messages lately about sylpheed
being unstable or unresponsive, however I am not sure if these are about
the same issue I had.

In general, gtk2 is aging and receiving less support by the gtk
community, so eventually a move to newer version would be good, but I'd
move the source code repository to git first to make it easier to
experiment with refactoring things.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--