[sylpheed:36764] Re: Strange bug with small screen

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Thu Dec 27 11:14:12 JST 2018

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:03:53 -0500
Stefan Vorkoetter <stefan at capable.ca> wrote:

> I tried that, and it does stop the crash. Strangely enough, signature
> handling still works though (i.e. I can select from between my two
> accounts and the appropriate signature appears at the bottom of
> the message). Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by
> "signature handling", since clearly that loop will not executed
> when valid is zero.

  Stefan,

I think that loop updates the signature *menu* which is the list of
signatures we can select from shown to the right of the From: menu
in the compose window. I think.

It seems compose->account->sig_names[0] does not point to valid
memory, i.e., has not been allocated.

> I'm not sure I have an old enough backup of it anywhere.

Well, perhaps you can start with an empty config dir and then manually
reenter the server settings etc. Be sure and make/retain a copy of this
"bare" config directory.

If you start with a bare config directory, then set things up the
best you can manually, then do you have a working system?

The idea is to make incremental changes until you home in on the
offending config change that triggers the problem.

To me, that approach is easier than back tracking in the code
to find where compose->account->sig_names is initialized
(and to determine why it is not being initialized - due to
something strange in the config file).

  Mike