[sylpheed:36586] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sylpheed 3.6beta1 released

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Thu Jun 15 19:13:24 JST 2017

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:21:20 +0200
Till Kolditz <till.kolditz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on Ubuntu 16.04.2 I simply used "git svn" (git version 2.7.4) to clone from SVN into a GIT repo.
> The actual command is just:
>
> $ git svn clone -s svn://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/sylpheed/trunk

Thanks Till, I am aware of git-svn, it works well for working in git
locally.

My issue is the about the remote repository and the workflow to give
sporadic contributors proper attribution. I was too concise in my

If I contribute a patch and Hiroyuki commits it with his svn user name,
he shows up as the author in the project history, svn has no mechanism
to distinguish between the author and the committer, while using git the
author and committer are two separate fields, so I would still show up
in the project history as the author, with Hiroyuki as the committer.

I also think that svn tends to discourage branching, while using git
could make it less painful to share experimental branches (e.g. one
about gtk-3 porting) on the remote repository.

> This will import the complete history including all branches and tags when there are any present.
> "-s" makes git-svn assume "standard SVN layout" with "trunk", "branches" and "tags" folders having their special
> meaning. Please consult git help on the actual syntax (git help svn)

JFYI git-svn is enough for a local import, however converting a remote
repository usually requires some more massaging of the development
history, with something like git-svn-abandon:
https://github.com/nothingmuch/git-svn-abandon

Thanks,
   Antonio

--