[sylpheed:36596] Re: Gmail and sent messages

Javier sylfiger at gmx.com
Fri Jul 14 00:12:21 JST 2017

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:18:45 +0300
Андрей <7ber at rambler.ru> wrote:

> How to stop puts sent messages in Sent Mail folder if The Gmail
> IMAP server  already puts sent messages in Sent Mail by itself?
>
> This takes some time, especially if the message is large or a weak
> communication channel is used.
>
> I know that i can turn off the corresponding option in General
> preferences, but i have more three non-gmail accounts, which not
> stored sent messages in Sent Mail (Outbox) without this options.
> ---
> Best regards, Mikhail

Hi,

this is not a Sylpheed issue.

You can't stop Gmail doing that. That is the answer I found when I
searched a few months back.

It is the same behavior Microsoft/Live/Hotmail/Outlook has
implemented as well a few months back too.

They do backup of every mail that passes through their SMTP server to
the sent folder.

For some it can be handy (probably they did for mobile users). For me,
and maybe you, it is dumb. I wan't sent mail locally, not backed up on
the server. "Thanks for a not requested feature".

At this time, I can tell that Yahoo, AOL and GMX, for example, don't
do that. And most probably most of mail services out there. But, you
know, Google (and now Microsoft) likes to do things different (as
their madness IMAP folder structure and mail tags classification).

Regards.