[sylpheed:36424] Re: Advantages of Sylpheed over Claws Mail

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Feb 18 16:35:43 JST 2016

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:20:40 +0100
vitsen at gmx.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> currently I am not a Sylpheed user (my client is Claws Mail), but I am
> curious about Sylpheed. Usually the forks of a software project are more
> advanced than the original project, and this may be the case with Claws
> Mail, but I have noticed that in spite of everything Sylpheed keeps
> developing and improving.

	Claws has more features, Sylpheed remains light. That as far as I
can see sums up the difference between the projects.

> I know that my question may appear like trolling, but it is not.
> Basically, I was wondering, why would one prefer Sylpheed over Claws
> Mail? What are the advantages? I am a Claws Mail user, what can Sylpheed
> offer me to convince me to make the switch from Claws Mail? Lastly, does
> Sylpheed have some philosophy or development guidelines that make it
> substantially different from Claws Mail?

	I have been using Sylpheed since the very early days (0.3) before
the Claws fork happened, it has never given me any trouble. I have tried
Claws a few times, perhaps I've been unlucky, but every time I've tried
Claws it gave me some kind of trouble.

	As for whether you should make the switch - try it and see, but if
you're happy with what you have then I'd say stick with it. If not then
look for something that eases whatever pain points you have, be guided by
whatever it is that makes you unhappy with what you have.

> By the way, I found out that Sylpheed is respected in the Fedora
> community and elsewhere, so this grabbed my attention and made me sit up.

	Sylpheed has earned my respect by being efficient and reliable, it
does more than I need so extra features are not interesting.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>