[sylpheed:36397] Re: A list of Sylpheed issues, with request for comment

yuuri yd-syy at gurukun.info
Sat Dec 19 03:50:00 JST 2015

Hi everybody!

Thanks to the many helpful comments on this list and offlist, the ride has become much smoother. For the record, let me post an update to my recent list of observations:

1
Mailboxes are automatically ordered alphabetically (cannot be ordered freely)
* Evaluation:
NOT A PROBLEM (JUST A COSMETIC ISSUE)
* Permanent workaround:
Starting mailbox names with numbers let me set them up in the desired order...

2
Sylpheed uses STARTTLS v1.0 for POP accounts
* Evaluation:
PROBLEM - WILL NEED TO BE UPGRADED

3
I can't find a way to edit the FROM address when composing a new message.
* Evaluation:
FOR THE WISH LIST (but only important for some users)
* Current workaround:
I set up an extra account each time I need to use a different FROM address...

4
I can't find a (relatively) current manual
* Evaluation:
NOT A PROBLEM
* Workaround
Where the old manual does not suffice use the mailing list ;-)

5
Filters cannot handle combinations of logical AND and logical OR
* Evaluation:
NOT A PROBLEM (JUST A COSMETIC ISSUE)
* Workaround:
Split complex filtering requirements into simple parts and create a separate filter for each part

6
DELETED (this was just "user skill inadequacy")

7
Numbers of messages in a mailbox (folder) - New/ Unread/ Total - do not include messages in nested mailboxes (subfolders).
* Evaluation:
FAR DOWN ON THE WISH LIST
* Workaround: think around the corner - if a folder name is shown in red while the number of new messages shown with it is zero, it can only mean that one needs to expand the folder view to look for messages in the subfolders.

8
When opening a message window, there are no controls, so it is not possible to delete the opened message or do much else without first closing the window.
* Evaluation:
FOR THE WISH LIST: it would be useful to have functions like "reply", "forward" and "delete" right inside that window (a bonus would be that a "delete" operation automatically opens the next message in the folder/mailbox)

9
Just clicking on a new message sets it already to "read".
* Evaluation:
NOT A PROBLEM BUT A CONTEXT DEPENDING FUNCTION: this happens only when the message content preview pane is used. Collapsing that pane by using the little black arrow at its top right corner turns this function off (in that case messages are not marked unread by just clicking on them but by double-clicking, i.e., opening a separate message view window).

Will leave any other observations that might come up until next month - for the time being a seasonal heavy workload will keep me off the computer much of the time. ;-)

Thanks again & best regards

Yuuri