[sylpheed:36385] Re: A list of Sylpheed issues, with request for comment

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.com
Fri Dec 18 07:14:24 JST 2015

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:50:33 -0800
yuuri <yd-syy at gurukun.info> wrote:

> I recently started using Linux and Sylpheed. Managed to set up a...
> Here goes:

> 3 (important to me):
> I can't find a way to edit the FROM address when composing a new
> message. Current workaround:
> I set up an extra account each time I need to use a different FROM
> address...

I use Windows (8.1) version, but am surprised to hear some of these.
#3: From addresses are tied to accounts you can send from set up in
#Create/Edit Accounts, so why would you want to edit a From address,
other than changing it via the drop down?

 > 6 (important to me):
> The Re-Edit function is greyed out; I cannot edit a sent message for
> resending. (The manual mentions an "edition mode": how does one get
> to that?) Current workaround:
> Start a new message and copy and paste address and content from the
> sent message.

Really? Here it's a matter of highlighting a message in the Sent folder,
opening the context menu (right click) and choosing Re-edit.

> 7 (not important to me):
> Numbers of messages in a mailbox (folder) - New/ Unread/ Total - do
> not include messages in nested mailboxes (subfolders). Workaround:

True - not sure why set like that

> 8 (important to me):
> When opening a message window, there are no controls, so it is not
> possible to delete the opened message or do much else without first
> closing the window.

True. I use the view where the message shows in the main window right
and typically read there, only opening window for reply or from drafts
folder

> For many years I had been using the Mac OS, but in recent years
> circumstances forced me to use Windows. That was OK, as long as I was
> using Windows 7, but Windows 8 and the recent upgrade to 10 pushed my
> frustration level so high that I finally made the switch to Linux:

Never understood the complaints about Win 8/8.1 when used with one of
the alternate Start buttons and the classical Windows desktop.  8.1
run that way is Win 7 with finish. OTOH I don't think Win 10 or MS's
attitude in pushing Win 10 is ready for prime time.

Gene