[sylpheed:36194] Re: Proper way to migrate from WinXP to Linux?

uhel at gmx.net uhel at gmx.net
Wed Sep 24 19:04:14 JST 2014

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:15:31 +0200
Javier <meresponde2001-sylpheed at yahoo.es> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:14:35 +0200
> uhel at gmx.net wrote:
>

> > Maybe I should restart this thread with the subject
> > "how to tell Sylpheed where the mailboxes are" to get more attention?
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to say a stupid thing, that is the reason I haven't replied
> yet, but in Windows there is a sylpheed.ini, isn't there a Linux
> equivalent?
>
> http://sylpheeddoc.sourceforge.net/en/faq/sylpheed-faq-2.html#d0e1507
>
> Here I read that you can change the path in folderlist.xml but that
> doesn't "fix" the problem of specify where should be the mails
> folder (that is strange it is searchin in the user root folder), but
> a mixed workarround, changing the main <folder> declaration path.

In the first 15min after adjusting the folderlist.xml everything seems
to work as it should so to me this is the workaround solution.
Workaround becaus I have to do that manually without knowing if there
is anything else I should have changes too. It's not only about where
the Mailboxes are located, it's still about "Proper migration" between
OSes...

> But I won't do myself because using the current path of the
> configuration files to specify another path is mix things too much,
> in my opinion. All files are or should be in the same path.

I'd say thats not the *nix way of doing things. To me separating
configuration from data feels natural and IHMO should also be done on
Windows.

> If you try, remember to make backups of all first.

My backup is called *my old windwos HDD* ;)

Regards
--
 <uhel at gmx.net>