[sylpheed:36188] Re: Proper way to migrate from WinXP to Linux?

Craig freecycle01 at pisquared.net
Tue Sep 23 02:55:49 JST 2014

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:15:31 +0200 Javier
<meresponde2001-sylpheed at yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to say a stupid thing, that is the reason I haven't replied
> yet, but in Windows there is a sylpheed.ini, isn't there a Linux
> equivalent?
>
> http://sylpheeddoc.sourceforge.net/en/faq/sylpheed-faq-2.html#d0e1507

Linux is much different than Windows (in many more ways than just
Sylpheed! :-) )

The files in question for Linux are:

	~/.sylpheed-2.0/accountrc
	~/.sylpheed-2.0/folderlist.xml
	~/.sylpheed-2.0/sylpheedrc

Editing the path definition in folderlist.xml or restarting from zero as
I did in my previous response is the way to change it.

> Here I read that you can change the path in folderlist.xml but that
> doesn't "fix" the problem of specify where should be the mails
> folder (that is strange it is searchin in the user root folder), but
> a mixed workarround, changing the main <folder> declaration path.

That is a very old thread. The solution I have posited above is mentioned
by "rollps" on November 18th 2006 and acknowledged by "berserker" also on
November 18th 2006, who also asks about S/MIME. The next post by
"berserker" is on February 12th 2007 and he mentions nothing about the
advice about folderlist.xml being bad and does say he can send emails.

> But I won't do myself because using the current path of the
> configuration files to specify another path is mix things too much,
> in my opinion. All files are or should be in the same path.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have ~/.sylpheed-2.0 and ~/Mail.

> If you try, remember to make backups of all first.

Good idea.

> Tell us if you try it.

I tried it. I moved my Mail directory and all of its sub-directories
to /tmp, edited ~/.sylpheed-2.0 as I have mentioned, and restarted
Sylpheed. It works just fine.

Craig