[sylpheed:35948] Re: Is it possible to run applications by file extension?

Onur Küçük onur at delipenguen.net
Wed Jan 15 20:33:50 JST 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 18:55:33 -0800 (PST)
Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been running sylpheed for a while. One issue that Is there a
> way (and place) to set applications to open with specific file types.
> For instance, I would like to be able to use zathura to open .pdf
> files, gnumeric to open .xls files, abiword to open .doc files and so
> on. But I want these actions to be the default, and I do not want to
> have to go and change the "Open with" button every time a file type
> that arrives changes. Is it possible to have this feature?
>
> Thanks again for any help!

 When I want this behaviour, I use Open With and run

 xdg-open %s

 to open the attachment with a file. The application is
choosen according to XDG settings of the running environment (for
example your desktop environment usually sets up XDG while setting up
default browser, default pdf reader etc.).

 Any modern Linux distro will have xdg tools available, but I don't
know about other OS's.

--
 Onur Küçük                                      Knowledge speaks,
 <onur.--.-.delipenguen.net>                     but wisdom listens