[sylpheed:35947] Re: Is it possible to run applications by file extension?

Wed Jan 15 17:21:33 JST 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 18:55:33 -0800 (PST)
Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been running sylpheed for a while. One issue that Is there a
> way (and place) to set applications to open with specific file types.
> For instance, I would like to be able to use zathura to open .pdf
> files, gnumeric to open .xls files, abiword to open .doc files and so
> on. But I want these actions to be the default, and I do not want to
> have to go and change the "Open with" button every time a file type
> that arrives changes. Is it possible to have this feature?

IIRC the file /etc/mailcap is the place to set such features. And there
is a FAQ on that matter on the Sylpheed doc site:

http://sylpheeddoc.sourceforge.net/en/0.7.3/sylpheed-13.html

HTH,

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.