[sylpheed:35977] Re: sylpheed: Off Topic - GPS unit

Cristian Secară liste at secarica.ro
Sun Feb 2 21:23:57 JST 2014

În data de Fri, 31 Jan 2014 05:41:52 -0800 (PST), Globe Trotter a scris:

> which means that a smartphone is not an option. sorry can't help much
> either way.

That depends on the device. With some limitations, Nokia devices are
able to preload country maps, either directly while directly online, or
when connected to PC via Nokia Suite installed program. The limitations
are in terms of full street addresses and building numbers, or POIs,
where online presence will give a more comprehensive list while
searching.

This is true on Symbian devices (I own a N8 which works that way), works
almost the same on MeeGo N9 device, and works the same on Windows based
Lumia devices [1] [2].

Now I agree that for a Sylpheed mailing list subscriber it is difficult
to imagine it will buy a Windows phone, so this was just FYI :)

That said, I find the phone (N8) GPS good enough for in-town
orientation either for walking or driving, but for long road driving I
still prefer my iGO 8 based dedicated device with preloaded maps in
traditional manner.

Cristi

[1]
http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Nokia-Maps-offline-with-Lumia-800/td-p/1469766