[sylpheed:35784] Re: Sylpheed

Craig freecycle01 at pisquared.net
Thu Sep 5 00:51:38 JST 2013

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 21:51:47 -0700 "cgw993 at aol.com" <cgw993 at aol.com> wrote:

> > I am using Linux. I use the editor vi.
>
> That is what vi and Emacs are for, now it is starting to make a little
> more sense.  Any reason why you prefer vi over Emacs?

I learned vi in 1983, before Emacs came out. It was second-nature to me
for years before Emacs came out. It works great, so I saw no need to
learn another text editor. In fact, sometimes when I'm using
OpenOffice.org, I find I start typing vi commands. I have to catch myself,
delete the written commands from the file, and redo what I wanted to do
in OpenOffice.org syntax (typically type ctrl-S to save instead of :w).

As Steve said, "You should be warned that this question strays into
religious territories."

> What does a program like vi do that is special if the code can be
> edited with Notepad?

As Steve said, it is a much more powerful program. For example, if I want
to change all occurances of "this" to "that" in a file, I do the
following:

- Type escape to get into vi's command mode,
- Type :1,$s/this/that/g

and I'm done.

> One thing that I did not realize was the fact that one need to
> uninstall the program, then edit the code, then reinstall.

In Linux, installing a new version will overwrite an older version, so no
uninstall will be necessary. If you move (rename) the older version, it
won't get overwritten, so you can have two versions simultaneously.
I don't know about Windows.

> I do more clearly see what compiling actually is and why the program
> would need to be reinstalled in the case of C programs.   In order to
> even write a single line in C, which I have not done nor do I know the
> language, I have to figure out what is the overall structure of what is
> needed to even begin.  A general purpose map or diagram indicating how
> these programs fit together and why is something I am looking for on
> youtube, google images etc.

As Steve said, learn C first.

> Thank you very much for the information

You are welcome.