[sylpheed:35773] Re: Sylpheed

Craig freecycle01 at pisquared.net
Wed Sep 4 13:02:55 JST 2013

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:44:07 -0700 <cgw993 at aol.com> wrote:

> Thanks for letting me know.  I will surf around the subdirectories and
> see what I can fine out.   Well done Hiroyuki Yamamoto and colleagues
> btw.
>
> These are just some of the questions I I guess ask myself as I think
> about what the process could be..
>
> 1. What program do you use to open the source code to view it? Say it is
> program "x"

I am using Linux. I use the editor vi.

> 2. Do you also use program "x" to make changes to the source code?

Yes, vi is a full-fledged editor. The source code files are just text
files. If you use Windows, you could open and edit them with Microsoft
word, or even Notepad. Just make sure you leave them text files.

> 3. Once you make changes to the source code, do you use program "x" to
> do something like  "save as ==> compiled version", which I guess would
> be an .exe file in Windows?

No. The README I mentioned earlier says the installation instructions are
in the file INSTALL.

The appropriate sections of that file say,

     This program requires GTK+ 2.4.0 or later to be compiled (GTK+ 2.6.0
     or later is recommended).

     This program is developed on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS / 10.04 LTS / Windows
     XP. It is possible that it dosen't work correctly on other
     environments.

     Curretnly [sic] it is confirmed to work on the following environments
     (Note: they might not work with the latest version):

     [many lines deleted]

     Windows

     o Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7 (MinGW - 32bit)

     Build it
     ========

     Please make sure that gtk-devel and glib-devel (or similar) packages
     are installed before the compilation (you may also require flex (lex)
     and bison (yacc)).

     To compile and install, just type:

     % ./configure
     % make
     % su
     Password: [Enter password]
     # make install

If you use Windows, it looks like you would have to get MinGW.

> 4. Debugging to me would mean, make a change, save, run Sylpheed, see if
> everything works, see what changed.  If it doesn't work, undo change
> and try something else and repeat.

That is what you would have to do, unless you could figure out beforehand
what your changes should do (by learning C and reading the source code).
The pattern would be

	- make a change
        - save
        - re-compile Sylpheed