[sylpheed:35772] Re: Sylpheed

cgw993 at aol.com cgw993 at aol.com
Wed Sep 4 12:44:07 JST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: sylpheed-bounces at sraoss.jp [mailto:sylpheed-bounces at sraoss.jp] On
Behalf Of Craig
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:28 PM
To: sylpheed at sraoss.jp
Subject: [sylpheed:35771] Re: Sylpheed

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 18:42:26 -0700 "cgw993 at aol.com" <cgw993 at aol.com> wrote:

> I have noticed that Sylpheed's search is about a billion times faster
> and more reliable than Outlook 2010. Just wanted to say job well done
> to the developers.

That would be Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp> and colleagues (there is
quite a list of contributors, but Hiroyuki is the head man).

> How difficult would it be or is it, to make a minor change to the
> programming for a typical free software package like Sylpheed? I am
> hoping to find a general outline as to what major steps are involved.
> For example as I understand it
>
> Sylpheed is written in some computer language, I would guess C
>
> How do you open the code, view the code to make a change?

Download the source code from the "Source code (stable version)" section of
http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/download.html.

Once you unpack the tar file, you will see many files and several
subdirectories. The README file for 3.3.0 has an Installation section
starting at line 126 that tells how to compile and install it. Once you can
compile and install a running version of Sylpheed, you can then think about
modifying it.

It is indeed written in C. I cannot tell you more since I know very little
C.

Craig

Thanks for letting me know.  I will surf around the subdirectories and see
what I can fine out.   Well done Hiroyuki Yamamoto and colleagues btw.

These are just some of the questions I I guess ask myself as I think about
what the process could be..

1. What program do you use to open the source code to view it? Say it is
program "x"
2. Do you also use program "x" to make changes to the source code?
3. Once you make changes to the source code, do you use program "x" to do
something like  "save as ==> compiled version", which I guess would be an
.exe file in Windows?
4. Debugging to me would mean, make a change, save, run Sylpheed, see if
everything works, see what changed.  If it doesn't work, undo change and try
something else and repeat.