[sylpheed:35522] Re: Code conversion error

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 15 02:47:08 JST 2013

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:23:28 -0700
Craig <freecycle01 at pisquared.net> wrote:

> BTW, this occurs for replying to some emails without copying and
> pasting.
>
> The settings I have for encoding (with the window's notes) are:
>
> 	Default character encoding        Automatic
>
>         This is used when displaying messages with
>         missing character encoding
>
>         Outgoing character encoding       Automatic (Recommended)
>
>         If 'Automatic' is selected, the optimal encoding for
>         the current locale will be used.
>
> So it sounds like I should change from the recommended outgoing
> character encoding to UTF-8.

It happens here a fair amount as well.  I've assumed it has to do with
the origin of the email.  That is, if it comes from a Blackberry or
such, or some kind of "enclosed" system, such as a company's customer
service system, those encode differently than normal client-based email.
If so, don't think there's much to do about it but click on OK and let
it send.

Gene