[sylpheed:35352] Re: 3.2 RC Win32 - What happened to received attachments in Message View?

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Thu Jun 28 11:29:24 JST 2012

Hello,

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:26:41 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:21:42 -0600
> Craig <freecycle01 at pisquared.net> wrote:
>
> > This was discussed last week. I mentioned it yesterday.
> >
> > Get 3.2.0rc and add the line
> > 	show_attach_tab=1
> > to the bottom of the sylpheedrc file.
> > That will set it like what it used to be.
>
> Thanks, Craig, for the fix, but checking the archives the tab issue was
> not addressed directly (and posts like yours that mention Linux I tend
> to ignore being a Windows users).  I don't mean this harshly, but to say
> the following:
>
> Hiro - this is the kind of major change to the interface that I think
> needs to be introduced earlier in the beta process, rather than dropped
> into the last beta on a tight release time schedule.  Users with
> different OS's should have some time to test it, as well as comment
> about whether they like the UI or not. Right now, the change doesn't
> work properly with all attachments (Windows), as Christian pointed out,
> and I and some others prefer the attachments tab or something similar
> directly in front of our eyes that serves the same purpose.  I'd
> suggest the new UI be withdrawn and looked at again with the next
> version.

I admit that this UI change should have been introduced in earlier
stage.

I had never been satisfied with the previous tab design, and the new
design came into my mind very recently. I have tested the new UI and
satisfied with the result, so I've put it in the last beta.

I know it has a room for improvement, but I think the current design is
still reasonable.

* You can directly operate with attachments using file labels on
  the message text view, so you don't need to open attachments list
  view normally.
* You can still see the existence of attachments by looking the button
  (maybe the position of button needs rethinking).

Anyway, I will redesign the UI after the release.

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>