[sylpheed:35400] Re: Archiv

Silvio Siefke siefke_listen at web.de
Wed Jul 18 06:20:39 JST 2012

Hello,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:16:07 +0200
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> Oh.. 20min is very slow... What specs does your laptop have? (CPU, RAM)
> An ls -l on a directory with 120'000 mail files on a PIII 1GHz takes
> about 12s on cold disk caches, ext3 with dir_hash (what sylpheed does is
> basically what ls -l does, AFAIK). Even reading all 120'000 files
> takes just about 15min (on a stone age 1TB hard disk, with highly fragmented
> filesystem).

its a 100 gb Partion with ext4. It was 257000 Emails. Ca. 1,2GB. I have make out
now the List from Ubuntu, not need it anymore. Use only Gentoo and Arch.

> So, the question is, what limits your speed? Do you have enough RAM?
> Sylpheed uses a couple 100MB, so you might be swapping if you have other
> large software packages running. And if you start swapping, you've
> basically lost.

Its a netbook with Atom, 1GB Ram.

Must find a mail archive System where can take the older messages. But all
what i found is commercial. Have here someone a advice?

Regards