[sylpheed:35399] Re: Archiv

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jul 18 05:16:07 JST 2012

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:15:43 +0200
Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen at web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:52:40 +0200
> Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
>
> > This highly depends on where and how you store your mails.
> >
> > So you should first answer:
> > * what kind of storage do you use? local MH or remote on an IMAP server?
> > * what is a "long time" for you? 2 seconds? an hour?
>
> When i click on folder linux and the system need 20 Minuts and more that
> is little long for me.
[...]
> Uff my Notebook is old i think :) Mutt i have take a look on it a few month ago,
> but i have not the time to study it.

Oh.. 20min is very slow... What specs does your laptop have? (CPU, RAM)
An ls -l on a directory with 120'000 mail files on a PIII 1GHz takes
about 12s on cold disk caches, ext3 with dir_hash (what sylpheed does is
basically what ls -l does, AFAIK). Even reading all 120'000 files
takes just about 15min (on a stone age 1TB hard disk, with highly fragmented
filesystem).

So, the question is, what limits your speed? Do you have enough RAM?
Sylpheed uses a couple 100MB, so you might be swapping if you have other
large software packages running. And if you start swapping, you've
basically lost.

				Attila Kinali
			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?