[sylpheed:35397] Re: Archiv

Silvio Siefke siefke_listen at web.de
Wed Jul 18 04:15:43 JST 2012

Hello,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:52:40 +0200
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> This highly depends on where and how you store your mails.
>
> So you should first answer:
> * what kind of storage do you use? local MH or remote on an IMAP server?
> * what is a "long time" for you? 2 seconds? an hour?

When i click on folder linux and the system need 20 Minuts and more that
is little long for me.

> If your storage is local MH, then you have to choose a file system that
> can deal with large number of files in a directory. Sylpheed will scan
> the directory each time you open it to see whether there are new files.
> If you are using something like ext2 (i hope you dont) or don't have
> dir_hash enabled with your ext3/ext4, then it will take an awfull lot
> of time. To further speed up you can use a filesystem that uses b-trees
> instead of linear lists.

The emails are local, im often on road. So can study the problems, and at
end need not so much help. Only for the small things. :)

Home Partion = ext4
System Partion = ext3

> And for comparison: My folders with 120'000 mails open up within 25 seconds.
> 10 to get an updated list of mails from the IMAP server and another 15 to
> build the sylpheed internal list. Yes, this is slow.. but any other mail
> client i know is slower... safe stuff like mutt.

Uff my Notebook is old i think :) Mutt i have take a look on it a few month ago,
but i have not the time to study it.

Regards
Silvio