[sylpheed:35396] Re: Archiv

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jul 18 03:52:40 JST 2012

Moin,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:23:49 +0200
Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen at web.de> wrote:

> I have now merged the threads completely. Some lists are included with
> more than 150,000 emails. It takes a long time display them. Is there
> a way to speed this up? Or does anyone have an idea to outsource the e-mails?

This highly depends on where and how you store your mails.

So you should first answer:
* what kind of storage do you use? local MH or remote on an IMAP server?
* what is a "long time" for you? 2 seconds? an hour?

If your storage is on an IMAP server, you have to talk with the admin of
the server to see what's the bottleneck

If your storage is local MH, then you have to choose a file system that
can deal with large number of files in a directory. Sylpheed will scan
the directory each time you open it to see whether there are new files.
If you are using something like ext2 (i hope you dont) or don't have
dir_hash enabled with your ext3/ext4, then it will take an awfull lot
of time. To further speed up you can use a filesystem that uses b-trees
instead of linear lists.

And for comparison: My folders with 120'000 mails open up within 25 seconds.
10 to get an updated list of mails from the IMAP server and another 15 to
build the sylpheed internal list. Yes, this is slow.. but any other mail
client i know is slower... safe stuff like mutt.

Though, if you really want to deal with such large amounts of mails, you
might want to have a look at gmail (no, not the google mail stuff, but
the old email client written by Wayne Schuller). It uses a mysql DB as
backend and was designed to handle huge amounts of mails efficiently.

If you cannot find gmail anymore, please contact me offlist, i can give you
a copy of the source code. But beware: nobody has touched that code in
over 10 years!

				Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?