[sylpheed:35207] Re: Web page email links not opening Sylpheed in Win 7

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 17 17:13:36 JST 2012

Last September I posted the question below about how to get "mailto" to
open an email client compose window with Win 7, which I had just
switched to from XP, where mailto worked.  I've finally figured out the
the answer. In Opera, for example, under Preferences > Advanced >
Programs > Details, there's Windows' "Associate a File
Type" page, which is a look alike of the Windows version. Apparently
when one sets Opera as the default browser on the Programs page (before
Details), it then overrides what's set in Windows. Changes, though,
don't seem to be made at that page but must be done in the Windows
version.

With Firefox (and Waterfox), it's under Tools > Applications and the
target can be edited.  However, for me it only opens the email client,
not a compose window.  In IE9, it's under Tools > Internet Options >
Programs - Set Program, which opens another Windows "Associate a File
Type" look alike.

However, since IE9 isn't giving any response for me to mailto links.My
guess is that's because it's pointed to the wrong Program Files
folder. In Win 7/64, there are two by default, Program Files and
Program Files (x86), the latter housing the 32-bit apps. Since most
email clients are 32-bit, the mailto default has to be set with care to
which PF folder. With Opera and FF (and Waterfox), that's easy, but
with both the IE9 and Windows' version of the file association page
there's no way to edit as far as I can tell; all it does is show the
program name.

Gene

----