[sylpheed:34996] Re: Request/suggestion: Please change/improve the behaviour of the new mail notification of the Sylpheed tray icon.

pn361529 at yahoo.com pn361529 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 01:27:30 JST 2011

Hello,

Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:

> This may be not the best approach, but I find it ac-
> ceptable.  Basically, you are  talking  about  three
> types of information to show:
>
>   a.  [STATUS] The presense of unread messages.
>
>   b.  [STATUS] The  presense of unread messages that
>       have come after the last time the user  inter-
>       acted  with Sylpheed, is reset when activating
>       the Sylpheed window.
>
>   c.  [EVENT] The arrival of a new message.
>
> The first one need not be shown in the tray  because
> it  is  persistent  not  only  between  instances of
> restoring Sylpheed from the tray  but  also  between
> its  launches; and the remaining two are already in-
> dicated in the tray.

You have a point there. It seems you mean the same as what i meant with
the "debatable behaviour for unread messages" thing in the previous
reply if you know what i mean ;). So you might want to take a look at
the previous reply ;).

> This proposal I'll support because  I  sometimes  do
> miss the standard notification.

Well, that basically was the intention for this thread ;D.

> Sypheed already has
> the "Execute command when new messages arrived"
> set- ting,  but  to  use  it everybody will have to write
> their own program.

See: http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/sylpheed/2011-December/004926.html
If you know how to make Sylpheed work with that, it would be
appreciated if you could post how ;D. But i'd say i'd also prefer not
having an extra application for that but instead the following for
example ;) (balloon tooltip):

> I think the balloon should not automatically  disap-
> pear, so that the user is guaranteed not to miss it.
> He/She may then:
>
>   a.  left-click on it to close the balloon or
>
>   b.  right-click to open restore Sylpheed with  the
>       first new message selected.
>
> Anton

You definitely have a point there. Actually i also would be fine
or even would prefer if the balloon tooltip would not disappear
automatically by default, coupled with something like the
left-click/right-click interaction you described for example.

But then again, for users who would get annoyed by that, there still
should be an option available to make the balloon tooltip disappear
automatically, possibly including configurable amount of time until it
disappears automatically.

Ultimately, there even should be an option available to enable/disable
the balloon tooltip, so it could be a choice to use it or not.