[sylpheed:34225] Re: Crash? How to deal with the fallout

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Wed Sep 15 10:52:18 JST 2010

Hello,

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 02:33:45 -0300
John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:

> A crash in the X-window system (no idea of the cause) made the
> window-manager exit violently. After re-entering with startx,
> Sylpheed seemed to have lost most of its configuration. accountrc had
> size 0, and filters.xml was set to 59 bytes instead of the 50-odd
> filters I had programmed.

Hmm, interesting.

> A search on the 'net didn't help much, and the handful of pages on
> accountrc and sylpheed were not about crashes.
>
> With a little guesswork, I copied a backup file for both of the
> mentioned files and could restart sylpheed again - the folders were
> scanned correctly (I think). I had to reprogram most of my preferences
> though.
>
> Is there some algorithm to safely restore the configs? And which file
> was clobbered to make sylpheed loose its course?

Sylpheed automatically saves 5-generations backups for the config files
on exit.

-rw-------  1 hiro hiro   5546 2010-09-09 18:17 sylpheedrc
-rw-------  1 hiro hiro   5546 2010-09-09 16:09 sylpheedrc.bak
-rw-------  1 hiro hiro   5546 2010-09-09 11:13 sylpheedrc.bak.1
-rw-------  1 hiro hiro   5546 2010-09-08 19:28 sylpheedrc.bak.2
-rw-------  1 hiro hiro   5546 2010-09-08 17:53 sylpheedrc.bak.3
-rw-------  1 hiro hiro   5546 2010-09-08 14:22 sylpheedrc.bak.4

If you have a still intact config file (....bak*),  you can copy it
back over the broken file.

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>