[sylpheed:34213] anoying mimetype for 'doc' problem

Ervin Peters ervin.peters at ervnet.de
Wed Sep 1 16:54:49 JST 2010

Hallo,

I'm running Sylpheed 3.0.3 on severall Gentoo Linux systems, 32 and
64bit.

Today I stumbled over an anoying problem on mime type handling.

I attached a word document, filenameending: 'doc' to an email and
wondered why sylpheed shows 'text/plain' as mime-type.

Looking at

http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/doc/manual/en/sylpheed-13.html

shows how mime-type exploration workd.

I have no mime.types in ~/.sylpheed-2.0, /etc/mime.types contains a
line:

application/msword				doc dot

Found no other mime-types files on the systems, attaching an xls, odt or
pdf works fine, means, the right mimetype is choosen.

According to the manual, sylpheed chooses 'application/octet-stream' if
it cannot be determined otherwise. Using that statement, sylpheeds
finds a mime-type 'text/plain' for 'doc', but where?

I looked all over ~ and also /etc for a hint of that mime-type
relation, nothing.

Bug?

Or did I fail to notice something?

ervin