[sylpheed:34252] Re: sylpheed suddenly asks for a new account

Stan S sps1234 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 04:52:09 JST 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct  2010, John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com>  wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>   > > Weeks ago I installed sylpheed v. 3.0.2. I was getting and receiving
> email
> > > with no apparent problem. Then suddenly, a few days ago, I run sylpheed
> and
> > > sylpheed asks for a "new account setup". Why did this happen? Is it
> some
> > > flaw in sylpheed? I have 18 pieces of email in my in box from the time
> when
> > > sylpheed worked well. I now cannot fetch new email.
> >
> > I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure there is a fixed
> > algorithm for this.
> >
> > First of all, do _NOT_ start sylpheed again many times. If you do,
> > you will destroy a backup each time (there are only 5 of them).
> >
> > In your home directory, in .sylpheed-2.0 directory, there are lots of
> > files like 'accountrc' etc. I would suggest you make a complete copy of
> > that directory (.sylpheed-2.0) so you can experiment without losing
> > data.
> >
> > Do you still have the 'Mail' folder in your home directory? If so, the
> > messages should be there (in a folder called inbox). If not, no amount
> > of effort will help you.
> >
> > If you have only 18 mails in the inbox, you might be able to recuperate
> > them by right-clicking on the mailbox header (Mail (MH)), and selecting
> > 'rebuild folder tree'
> >
> > If necessary, you might be able to recover the account info by copying
> > one of the older (eg. accountrc.bak.3) to accountrc while sylpheed is
> > not running (check for the size of the file).
> >
> > John

Thanks John for your help and tips.

I couldn't locate any 'inbox' folder so I thought all my email messages were
lost. Then I installed claws v. 3.7.6. [I had read that claws is sort of an
experimental version of or 'testing grounds' for sylpheed.]  I was happy to
see that after installing claws (and while still having sylpheed in my
Dolphin file manager) my sylpheed email was now automatically in the claws
email app. I hope now that claws doesn't suddenly 'ask for a new account' at
some point in the near future. [Is this likely to happen with claws?]

Can I now safely delete in Dolphin all of the .sylpheed folder in my
/home/Stan ? Or is it best to just move it to Trash to see what happens in
and with claws?