[sylpheed:34247] Re: sylpheed suddenly asks for a new account

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Mon Oct 18 02:46:04 JST 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:30:05 -0500
Stan S <sps1234 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Weeks ago I installed sylpheed v. 3.0.2. I was getting and receiving email
> with no apparent problem. Then suddenly, a few days ago, I run sylpheed and
> sylpheed asks for a "new account setup". Why did this happen? Is it some
> flaw in sylpheed? I have 18 pieces of email in my in box from the time when
> sylpheed worked well. I now cannot fetch new email.

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure there is a fixed
algorithm for this.

First of all, do _NOT_ start sylpheed again many times. If you do,
you will destroy a backup each time (there are only 5 of them).

In your home directory, in .sylpheed-2.0 directory, there are lots of
files like 'accountrc' etc. I would suggest you make a complete copy of
that directory (.sylpheed-2.0) so you can experiment without losing
data.

Do you still have the 'Mail' folder in your home directory? If so, the
messages should be there (in a folder called inbox). If not, no amount
of effort will help you.

If you have only 18 mails in the inbox, you might be able to recuperate
them by right-clicking on the mailbox header (Mail (MH)), and selecting
'rebuild folder tree'

If necessary, you might be able to recover the account info by copying
one of the older (eg. accountrc.bak.3) to accountrc while sylpheed is
not running (check for the size of the file).

John