[sylpheed:33945] Re: Fw: Re: Re: Two functions that does not work as expected

Raphael Frey freyraphael at lavabit.com
Sun May 9 06:53:12 JST 2010

Hi

On Sat, 8 May 2010 08:35:20 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2010 10:55:39 +0200
> Raphael Frey <freyraphael at lavabit.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Fri, 7 May 2010 21:20:48 -0600
> > Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >
> > > Right click to toggle?  It's left clicking that is standard.
> >
> > no, you have misunderstood me. I meant that it is *true* that (left)
> > clicking on the icon in the notification area does hide (resp.
> > restore) the programme. But clicking on the minimisation button in
> > the window border/decoration, Sylpheed does not minimise to the
> > window list in the bottom panel (see screen casts) but to to the
> > notification area in the upper panel too!
> >
> > window border
> >     ↓
> > [✉              Sylpheed 3.0.2              (_)(o)(x)]
> >                                              ↑
> >                                              minimisation button
> >
> > Please compare what happens in both screen casts when left ;) clicking
> > on the minimisation button.
>
> Ok, let's see if I get your point: left click on the minimization
> button minimizes to tray, instead of the main part of the toolbar;
> right click opens a drop down.  I don't find that surprising because I
> have a number of applications, mainly utilities and email-related apps,
> that respond that way.  It's become common over the years, sometimes
> with a setting that gives users a choice.  It's the 'major' apps like
> browsers and MS Office that have stuck with minimizing to the toolbar
> on a left click.  Have I understood correctly?

Not exactly, but you almost got my point: left clicking on the
minimisation button does minimise Sylpheed to the notificaiton area of
the system tray (or panel). All other programmes that I know and that
provide a icon in the notification area do however minimise to the
window list when clicking on the minimisation button. These programmes
do distinguish between a click on the icon in the notification area
(which will minimise the programmes to the notification area) and a
click on the minimisation button (which will minimise the programmes to
the window list. Sylpheed does not distinguish and always minimises to
the notification area which is not normal in my opinion.

By the way, I was not talking about right clicking on the icon in the
notification area, but this works as usual – as you have mentioned this
opens a drop down menu.

Hopefully that you got the point now and please excuse my complicated
description of this “minimisation problem”; I am just not very used to
describe quite complicated issues in English …

Best regards

Raphael

PS: Please see this screenshot [1] for the terms I used in this and
previous mails to describe specific parts of the task bar (= panel). I
intentionally removed the upper panel and have created a panel at the
bottom similar to the system tray of Windows. (I do not use Windows so I
cannot show you the procedure in your familiar environment
unfortunately.)

PSS: I am sorry, I just realised that ‘system tray’ is a synonym of
‘notification area’. As far as I know you do not use the term ‘system
tray’ in GNU/Linux environments which seems to be a common term in
Windows, instead it is called ‘notification area’. I hope I did not
confuse you too much with unfamiliar expressions.