[sylpheed:34103] Re: Sylpheed FAQ revision 2.1 released

Ricardo Mones mones at debian.org
Mon Jun 28 09:12:20 JST 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:27:34 +0200
Petr Kovar <pknbe at volny.cz> wrote:
[...]
> >   BTW, the FDL also states you must "Include an unaltered copy of this
> > License." and the copy on the HTML is not unaltered.
>
> I'm not sure about this one; the FDL copy included in the Sylpheed FAQ is
> taken directly from the gnu.org website, see:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/fdl-1.2.html
>
> I believe that the license copy in the XML file is just another format
> available, just like the plain text or HTML format is. There's no mention
> there that the XML format should be considered an "altered copy", for what
> it's worth. I tend to assume that the "unaltered copy" statement in the FDL
> license means "contentually" or "textually unaltered copy", i.e. not
> "altered" as in another format of the same license text.

  Look at the "generated HTML is a opaque copy" example, the content is
  exactly the same but the license treats it as a derivative non-transparent
  copy because the format change, so I won't assume usual logic works in the
  license world. Anyone could argue the opposite (that the copy in the HTML
  is not unaltered because the format change) and probably only a judge
  could tell which one is right.

> > Again, the usual is
> > to include a LICENSE or COPYING text file in the package with the
> > license.
>
> If it's really needed, I'll naturally include it.

  I don't really know if it's really needed or not, you'll need a lawyer
  and I'm not one :) just told which the majority of people does in release
  tarballs. IMO, when dealing with licenses, is more effective to be
  conservative than creative.

> Anyway, thanks again for raising these concerns.

  You're welcome, though maybe we're going a bit off topic.
--
 Ricardo Mones
 http://people.debian.org/~mones