[sylpheed:33712] Re: Save sent messages to outbox - Where's 'outbox'?

Michael A. Puls II shadow2531 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 02:26:55 JST 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:49:08 -0500, Gene Goldenfeld
<genegold at peoplepc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:18:36 -0500
> "Michael A. Puls II" <shadow2531 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sylpheed 3.0.0 - WinXP - IMAP
>>
>> 'Configuration -> Common Preferences -> Send -> General -> "Save
>> sent messages to outbox"'.
>>
>> I'm not sure what that means. I don't see 'Outbox' anywhere. I see
>> 'Queue'. Does it mean to only queue messages? Or, does it mean to
>> not append messages to the specified sent mailbox even if one is
>> specified? I see something about this mentioned at
>> <http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/doc/faq/en/sylpheed-faq-3.html>, but it's
>> still not clear as I don't see "outbox" anywhere.
>>
>> Does it mean "Queue messages (do not send immediately)"?
>
> By common practice, isn't the outbox folder called Sent?

Well, in Opera, Outlook Express and Thunderbird, the Outbox is where
queued messages go before they're sent. So, I would say, no. "outbox"
doesn't mean Sent.

> Admittedly,
> there is a terminology inconsistency there that could be fixed with
> "Sent Folder."

Indeed. If it means "Copy/save sent messages to Sent folder", then it
should definitely say that.

I assume then that unchecking this option is supposed cause Sylpheed to
ignore the "put sent messages in" option under advanced in the account's
preferences?

If so, it seems like the "Save sent messages to outbox" option is
redundant as that option could be dropped and it'd work like this:

By default "put sent messages in" would be set to #mh/Mailbox/sent for new
accounts. Then, if you wanted to set it to something else you could. And,
if you didn't want sent messages to be placed anywhere, you'd make that
setting blank.

Unless, unchecking "Save sent messages to outbox" is just an easy way of
disabling saving of sent messages for all accounts at once?

--
Michael