[sylpheed:33908] Re: auto-fill of address

Thomas Faber thfabba at gmx.de
Sat Apr 24 18:23:02 JST 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 11:45:05 +0300,
Cristian Secară <orice at secarica.ro> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:31:17 +0300, v_2e at ukr.net wrote:
>
> >   But still what about such people who uses "Ctrl+Shift" to switch
> > keyboard layout? I'm not using this combination any more, but I did
> > it in the past (just after moving from Windows to GNU/Linux) and I
> > know many people who uses it right now.
>
> On Windows, Ctrl+Shift alone switches by default between keyboard
> layouts (if several exists and if these are enabled) within the actual
> keyboard language, but if Ctrl +Shift is then followed by any other
> key, then the keyboard layout switching function is ignored.

Uhm, guys. Unless I'm misinterpreting, this part of the discussion is
based on false premises. Shift-Tab is the opposite of Tab - no Ctrl key
needed to move back one item in the tab order. Ctrl-Shift-Tab doesn't
even work in most programs (though it does appear to in Sylpheed).
That said, Ctrl+Shift _is_ a weird combination for a global shortcut
(though Christian's point makes it sound more sensible).

And - to say something on the original subject - I agree that the Tab
key is not a good choice for auto-completion in a GUI where it is
usually expected to switch control focus (in fact, I would have never
suspected the autocompletion to work that way until I saw this thread).
The usual choices would be either auto-fill (you type, the rest is
completed automatically, but selected so that further typing overwrites),
or auto-dropdown (a list of choices is displayed like in a ComboBox, and
can be selected using the up and down arrows). The amount of work
required to implement that is another question, though (don't know if
Gtk+ offers such functionality natively. <ramble>.Net++</ramble>).

-Tom