[sylpheed:33898] Re: auto-fill of address

v_2e at ukr.net v_2e at ukr.net
Thu Apr 22 15:39:18 JST 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:00:57 +0300
Onur Küçük <onur at delipenguen.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:42:17 +0800
> Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > version 3.0.2
> >
> > It would be nice if there is a auto-fill feature for typing in email
> > addresses. Will prevent wrong typing of address.
>
>  Just press "tab" and address you are writing is autocompleted from
> addressbook
  It seems to me that this problem had already been discussed before.
But in my opinion, the REAL problem is when you actually do not have
the address you want to send a message to in you AddressBook and press
'Tab' with hope that you do have this address there. It happens very
often to me. I don't remember all the addresses I have in my
AddressBook, that is why I press 'Tab' almost every time I want to send
an e-mail to somebody. Everything is fine if there is the address I
need there, but if there isn't, the cursor moves to the next field
("Copy:" in my case) and I have to move it back using a mouse or a
touchpad (which is usually really annoying).
  Maybe, it would be better if Sylpheed could auto-fill like this:
1. I begin to type the address.
2. Sylpheed begins to look for the matching addresses in my AddressBook
and shows the list.
3.1 I can continue typing
  - in this case Sylpheed should take into account the newly typed
letters and shorten the list of matching addresses appropriately;
3.2  I can also choose one address from the list shown
  - in this case Sylpheed just puts the address I have chosen into the
"To:" filed.

  This behaviour could be optional for all the users can benefit from
this.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:20:39 -0400
heymanj at acm.org wrote:

> On 21 April 2010 at 20:19, Ron <ron at skullsecurity.net>wrote:
>
> 'tab' works perfectly fine for autocompletion in bash :-)
> You could always use the source and change the key...
  Not every user can actually successfully change the source code and
recompile the program. What should such users do if it is not very
convenient for them to use "Tab" key? For example, they have a problem
which I described above (when they do not know for sure if there is the
address they need right now in there AddressBook). Wouldn't it be nice
if Sylpheed could help such users too? I believe it would. :)

Regards,
Vladimir.
-----
 <v_2e at ukr.net>