[sylpheed:33877] Re: signature question

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Fri Apr 16 00:01:46 JST 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:43:27 +0200
Ricardo Mones <mones at debian.org> put fingers to keyboard and said:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:55:52AM -0400, Bruce Bowler wrote:
> > Anyone???
> >

> > On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:58:17 -0400
> > Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org> put fingers to keyboard and said:
> >
> > > I use sylpheed on both windows and fedora.
> > >
> > > On fedora, I have signature set to be file where file is really a
> > > pipe that generates a new sig for each message.
> > >
> > > I'd like to do something similar on the windows side, probably
> > > using "command output".  What, specifically, does sylpheed "look
> > > at" for command output (or perhaps, how does sylpheed run the
> > > command?)
>
>   You could theoretically use a named pipe too, but probably would
> require writting some specific program [0].
>   The execute command seems not to be working, at least not for a
> simple bat file which echoes a line and invoked with "cmd /c
> c:/signature.bat" from sylpheed.
>   The other option is to have a fixed file which another program
> updates with a new signature from time to time, the effect would be
> similar.
>
>   regards,
>
> [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe#Named_pipes_in_Windows

Writing the program turns out to be fairly trivial, and works well when
I "type \\.\pipe\signature" but fails when I set sylpheed up to use
that pipe.

One thing to note when I tryed to use the "Command output" option was
that the protocol log would show a warning of

** LibSylph-WARNING: Can't execute command: dir {or whatever executable
I was trying to run to generate a signature}

No warning or errors appear when I try to use the pipe.

--
Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org>