[sylpheed:33156] Heads up: GPGME problems with Sylpheed 2.6.0

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 16:06:24 JST 2009

Hi everyone!

It may not be an immediate threat to all users of Sylpheed, but it
may hit you occasionally when upgrading system software.

There's a Fedora 11 bug report at

   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/519370

which claims that the new GnuPG 2.0.12 (with GPGME 1.1.8)

   https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F11/FEDORA-2009-8179

would break the message signing feature within Sylpheed. As I'm still
watching the Fedora bugzilla traffic for Sylpheed, I've tried to reproduce
it, but GPG signing still works for me in Sylpheed (and also in Claws
Mail, which uses GPGME, too).

The reporter seems to have found that simply downgrading to GnuPG 2.0.11
fixes the issue. However, the Fedora gnupg2 maintainer could not sign with
either GnuPG 2.0.11 or 2.0.12 and Sylpheed at all. That could be the same
or even a different problem, depending on his particular user environment.
Mission objective is to find out what's wrong, especially because I cannot
reproduce it at all. Not with gpg-agent and not without it either.

Interface definitions between GPGME 1.1.7 and 1.1.8 haven't changed, but
in above bugzilla ticket I point out some internal changes, which may or
may not be relevant despite the claim that GnuPG 2.0.12 would be the only
culprit.

I'll likely review Sylpheed's rfc2015.c code a bit and look for oddities.
Any help and ideas are appreciated, since it might not be specific to
Fedora.