[sylpheed:33372] Re: Desperate - Moving to new distro

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Nov 29 10:51:35 JST 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:17:12 -0700
Bob White <bob at bob-white.com> dijo:

> > > Since I first posted about the problem I have discovered a problem with
> > > Firefox. As with Sylpheed, I copied my ~/.mozilla folder from the old
> > > hard disk. Now I get an error message that Firefox is already running.
> > > Google tells me that this is cause by not being able to find its
> > > ~/.mozilla folder. Google further suggests that it is a
> > > permissions/ownership issue.
> > >
> > > On my old computer I was jjj of the group jjj. OpenSuse set me up as
> > > jjj of the group users. So I did "chown -R
> > > jjj:users /home/jjj/.sylpheed-2.0." Unfortunately, it did not resolve
> > > the problem. I know little about how permissions and ownerships work.
> > >
> > > There is one other issue. On my old disk the ~/.sylpheed-2.0 folder had
> > > a big padlock on it when viewed in Nautilus and I could not copy it to
> > > the new hard disk. From the command line I did chmod 777 on the folder
> > > and then I was able to copy it to the new hard drive.
> > >
> > > I need to figure out how to get sylpheed to see it.
> >
> > OK, I solved the Firefox problem as root with
> >
> > chown -R jjj:users /home/.mozilla/
> >
> > But teh same command on the .sylpheed-2.0 folder does not solve the
> > problem for Sylpheed.
>
> Here is one more suggestion.  move your .sylpheed-2.0 and Mail folders
> to a safe place.  Remove Sylpheed and do a fresh install.  See what
> your the files in your .sylpheed-2.0 and Mail folders have for
> permissions and ownership.  Set the files in your saved .sylpheed-2.0
> and Mail to the same settings and move them to the locations of the
> ones generated by the fresh install.

Great suggestion. Sadly, it hasn't helped. I am even more confused.

I started by renaming the .sylpheed-2.0 folder (the one from the old
disk) to .oldsylpheed-2.0. Then I uninstalled Sylpheed, followed by
reinstalling it. After it was reinstalled I launched it, which created
a new .sylpheed-2.0 folder.

Checking the permissions and ownerships of the two folders they are
identical:

ls -dla
drwx 10 jjj users 4096 2009-11-28 14:43 .oldsylpheed-2.0
drwx  7  jjj users 4096 2009-11-28 14:43 .sylpheed-2.0

The only thing I can think of at this point is that my old Sylpheed is
whatever version was used on Jaunty (don't recall, but it could be
looked up somewhere), where the new one is 2.7.1. The new Sylpheed did
create a folder with the same name, but maybe inside it needs something
different? I'm grasping at straws here.

I also discovered another small fact that lends credence to the above
hypothesis. If I rename the old (good) folder and delete the newly
created one, when I launch Sylpheed it sees nothing - no Mail folders,
no accounts. If I then delete the newly created folder and rename the
old (good) folder to .sylpheed-2.0, when I launch Sylpheed it sees the
Mail folders, although it still does not see my accounts or other
details like the last window size.

Still stuck. :(