[sylpheed:33371] Re: Desperate - Moving to new distro

Bob White bob at bob-white.com
Sun Nov 29 09:17:12 JST 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:46:59 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:21:56 -0800
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
> > On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:56:47 +0200
> > Einar Lielmanis <einars at gmail.com> dijo:
> >
> > > Try running sylpheed from the terminal and looking if there is any
> > > relevant output -- maybe you've got problems with permissions under
> > > ~/.sylpheed (or maybe it's searching for the configuration under
> > > ~/.sylpheed-2.0 instead of .sylpheed).
> >
> > Thanks for the replies.
> >
> > I must apologize - I said the folder from my old disk was .sylpheed,
> > but it is .sylpheed-2.0. I was having a blond moment.
> >
> > When I run it from the command line I get only one error message:
> >
> > (sylpheed 6839): Gtk warning**: GtkSpinButton: Setting an adjustment
> > with non-zero page size is deprecated
> >
> > I doubt that has anything to do with the problem.
> >
> > Since I first posted about the problem I have discovered a problem with
> > Firefox. As with Sylpheed, I copied my ~/.mozilla folder from the old
> > hard disk. Now I get an error message that Firefox is already running.
> > Google tells me that this is cause by not being able to find its
> > ~/.mozilla folder. Google further suggests that it is a
> > permissions/ownership issue.
> >
> > On my old computer I was jjj of the group jjj. OpenSuse set me up as
> > jjj of the group users. So I did "chown -R
> > jjj:users /home/jjj/.sylpheed-2.0." Unfortunately, it did not resolve
> > the problem. I know little about how permissions and ownerships work.
> >
> > There is one other issue. On my old disk the ~/.sylpheed-2.0 folder had
> > a big padlock on it when viewed in Nautilus and I could not copy it to
> > the new hard disk. From the command line I did chmod 777 on the folder
> > and then I was able to copy it to the new hard drive.
> >
> > I need to figure nout nhow to get sylpheed to see it.
>
> OK, I solved the Firefox problem as root with
>
> chown -R jjj:users /home/.mozilla/
>
> But teh same command on the .sylpheed-2.0 folder does not solve the
> problem for Sylpheed.

Here is one more suggestion.  move your .sylpheed-2.0 and Mail folders
to a safe place.  Remove Sylpheed and do a fresh install.  See what
your the files in your .sylpheed-2.0 and Mail folders have for
permissions and ownership.  Set the files in your saved .sylpheed-2.0
and Mail to the same settings and move them to the locations of the
ones generated by the fresh install.

Bob W.