[sylpheed:33276] Re: various problems & requests

Randy Dunlap rdunlap at xenotime.net
Mon Nov 2 12:21:14 JST 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:02:26 +0000 Laurence Darby wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for lumping all of these in to one email, too many to split up :)
>
> Undo in the Email headers - can this be made to work please?  It just
> undoes things in the main editor window.  Also as noted by someone
> else, pasting breaks copy/paste. Also can spell checking please be
> enabled for the headers?
>
> LDAP - can that please be enabled by default in ./configure (and
> why not jpilot too for those that use it)

Just speaking for myself, but many sylpheed users like it because as its
web page says:

"Sylpheed is a simple, lightweight but featureful, and easy-to-use e-mail client (mailer, MUA)."

I guess it's a challenge to be both simple/lightweight and featureful.

> Attachments > Open with... - can a simple map be created for this
> please?  eg. open .pdfs with kpdf, and open .docs with soffice,
> currently it remembers the last command used, which is nearly always
> the wrong one!

oh, like thunderbird and outlook and gmail remember email addresses...

> Multiple reply formats - in my work environment everyone top posts, with
> no reply indentation (using outlook etc), which I've gotten used to, but
> what really messes up those ridiculously long threads up is when one or
> two people use reply indentation and everyone else doesn't.  So it'd be
> really good if the reply format was the property of an account, rather
> than global, and I could set an outlook equivalent reply format for the
> work account.

ugh

> Moving large numbers of mails around - a change in 3beta looks like
> it's meant to improve things:
>
>     * Summary caches are updated on the fly (on
>       receive/move/copy/delete). This improves the performance of
>       opening folders with many new messages.
>
> However I just created a new folder, copied ~4000 messages into it, but
> then when I clicked on it, it took some minutes to downloaded all the
> message headers again, was the new feature meant to prevent that or was
> it something different?
>
> Lastly, I confess, I think and always have thought that modal dialogs
> are pure evil, and run the following script on every release of
> sylpheed before compiling it:
>
> find -type f  -exec perl -pi -e 'if (/modal/i) {s/TRUE/FALSE/;}' {} \;
>
> True, the addressbook must be closed before the changes become active
> in a compose window, and there are other issues like that, but those are
> insignificant compared to how annoying being blocked from copy/pasting
> is.

OK, that one makes sense.  :)

---
~Randy