[sylpheed:32974] Re: Read Receipt ?

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Tue May 12 00:24:46 JST 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009 17:05:32 +0200
Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> put fingers to keyboard
and said:

> Hi list,
>
> I would need to send an e-mail and get a read receipt to ensure me that
> the receiver did read/receive the mail on this client.
> Years ago I was using Evolution, and it was as simple as ticking a box
> in the composing window. But I can't find it in Sylpheed :-(
>
> Am I blind or... should I re-title this e-mail to be considered as a
> feature request ?
>

> Regards,

I believe that if you look back thru the archives, this is an oft requested
feature.

I'd like to point out that the best it can be is a "something opened the
message" flag, it's entirely possible the bits never got to a real person.

a couple of reasons (there are more)

There's no way to have a true "read receipt" (at least until there's
telepathic communication from the brain to the computer, at which point, who
needs computers?)

There are people (me, for one) who will NEVER use a client that doesn't give
me the option to send a "read receipt requested by the sender", therefor you
still won't know if I read the message.  I'll point out also that even the
postal service (at least in the US) doesn't (and can't) offer more than a
delivery receipt.

Bruce