[sylpheed:32966] Re: feature request - master password to protect all account passwords

stef stef_204 at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 00:53:35 JST 2009

--- On Wed, 5/6/09, Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp> wrote:

> From: Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>
> Subject: [sylpheed:32965] Re: feature request - master password to protect all account passwords
> To: sylpheed at sraoss.jp
> Date: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 11:06 PM
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response, because I was away on
> vacation.
>
> On Sat, 2 May 2009 10:31:29 -0700 (PDT)
> stef <stef_204 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > --- On Sat, 5/2/09, Bob White
> <bob at bob-white.com> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Bob White <bob at bob-white.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [sylpheed:32959] Re: feature request
> - master password
> > > to protect all account passwords To:
> sylpheed at sraoss.jp
> > > Cc: stef_204 at yahoo.com, sylpheed at sraoss.jp
> > > Date: Saturday, May 2, 2009, 8:48 AM

> against
> > > someone gaining access to Sylpheed by starting it
> up and
> > > doing send/receive.
> > > .sylpheed-2.0/accountrc

> work; for
> > > those whom do not use a Desktop Manager (KDE,
> Gnome, etc.)
> > > but only a Window Manager (fluxbox, Openbox,
> etc.) it is a
> > > bit complicated.

> with
> > > proper permissions:

> 00:09
> > > .sylpheed-2.0/accountrc

> gaining
> > > access as "myself" when my box is
> running but I am
> > > away from my desk.

> good option
> > > as I check over 10 accounts and use complex
> passwords very
> > > difficult to remember.  So that would be too
> inconvenient.

> password',
> > > meaning a master password that would
> encrypt/decrypt (or a
> > > gpg signature) the .sylpheed-2.0/accountrc file
> and then
> > > lets Sylpheed read it would seem to make sense.
> But
> > > developer efforts to implement need to be
> considered, as the
> > > developer's time might be better served in
> focusing on
> > > email features rather than security features.
> Hiro's
> > > feedback on this issue would be nice.

> > > To implement a quasi secure accountrc file it
> would be
> > > fairly
> > > straightforward.  Instead of starting sylpheed
> directly,
> > > run a script:
> > > 1) decrypt sylpheedrc
> > > 2) run sylpheed
> > > 3) sylpheed exits -> encrypt sylpheedrc
> > >
> > > I'm not sure how to implement this with MS
> Windows.
> > > Maybe a Windows
> > > expert can tell us. :)
> > >
> > > Your account passwords are encrypted unless you
> are
> > > actually running
> [...]

Hiro,

Thanks for your reply.

If one deletes the plain text passwords, and then only uses passwords in connection with the Master Password, it should prevent other users gaining access to your passwords without the Master Password, no?

If the passwords are also always concurrently stored in plain text, in some file, then it would not make sense to implement a Master Password....