[sylpheed:32957] Re: feature request - master password to protect all account passwords

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Sat May 2 17:53:33 JST 2009

On Fri, 1 May 2009 11:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
stef <stef_204 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is definitely a security risk, IMHO.
>
> And seems to emphasize my original point.

Hi,

As you can guess it is done deliberately, because _you_ as a user should
protect _your_ data, and your email client config is just data (let me
be a bit provocative on this point :)).

I saw many other softwares which store those "user-data" passwords in
plaintext, I recall a similar discussion for the pidgin IM client:
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PlainTextPasswords

You also know that there are ways to protect your user data, and this
master password mechanism would be redundant.

But maybe all those are just arguments posed by lazy coders who don't
want to add such feature to their softwares :P (joking, eh)

Regards,
   Antonio

P.S.: please avoid top-posting, _at_least_ in mailing lists :)