[sylpheed:32907] Re: APOP with GMX: Required APOP timestamp not found in greeting

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 02:19:15 JST 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:31:59 +0100, Enrico wrote:

> Hey,
>
> since a few days I'm getting errors when trying to fetch my mails via
> POP3 from gmx.net (German freemail provider).
>
> Attached is the relevant part of a debug log of Sylpheed when trying to
> connect to the server.
>
> I guess the key message is:
>
> (sylpheed:9435): LibSylph-WARNING **: [16:19:15] Required APOP
> timestamp not found in greeting

No, the key message is the previous one, the server's greeting:

  [18:14:17] POP3< +OK GMX POP3 StreamProxy ready

No timestamp in the greeting, nothing Sylpheed can return in the
authentication handshake. GMX's server currently does not support APOP,
or else it would send the timestamp.

> Disabling "Use secure authentication (APOP)" in the preferences dialog
> solves the problem but of course, then I loose the APOP feature.
> Luckily, the conversion is still being encrypted by using SSL.
>
> Two questions arise:
> - do I need APOP at all when using SSL?

No.

> - assuming the GMX server broke at some point in supporting the
> protocol correctly, is there any way or sense to make Sylpheed
> comptatible?

I don't think so. Rationale given above.