[sylpheed:32906] APOP with GMX: Required APOP timestamp not found in greeting

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Thu Mar 19 00:31:59 JST 2009

Hey,

since a few days I'm getting errors when trying to fetch my mails via
POP3 from gmx.net (German freemail provider).

Attached is the relevant part of a debug log of Sylpheed when trying to
connect to the server.

I guess the key message is:

(sylpheed:9435): LibSylph-WARNING **: [16:19:15] Required APOP
timestamp not found in greeting

I tried finding some useful information by capturing the network
traffic with Wireshark but obviously this doesn't help much since the
related traffic is encrypted.

Disabling "Use secure authentication (APOP)" in the preferences dialog
solves the problem but of course, then I loose the APOP feature.
Luckily, the conversion is still being encrypted by using SSL.

Two questions arise:
- do I need APOP at all when using SSL?
- assuming the GMX server broke at some point in supporting the
protocol correctly, is there any way or sense to make Sylpheed
comptatible?

Regards,
Enrico