[sylpheed:33026] Re: Sylpheed compilation problems on Gentoo

Polyhead polyhead at polyhead.net
Sat Jul 4 03:49:56 JST 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:31:53 +0200
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:13:55 -0700, Polyhead wrote:
>
> > > What problems do you see?
> >
> > I'm going to say ignore my ponderings.  I just downloaded the package and it compiled and executes fine.  It's something broken with gentoo.  If gentoo maintainers are going to ignore users like this, I think it's time to change distros.  I've been using it since 2002, and it has finally hit the point of no return.  the distro is dead.
> >

> Note that with properly prepared source tarballs you don't need any of the
> autotools on your system. It's not necessary to run them (or autoreconf)
> manually either. Whenever you need the autotools to be installed, that's
> evidence that the upstream developers have released a "broken" source
> archive.

It wouldn't be so bad but they tend to put their head in the sand when problems occur.  80% of the bug reports for gentoo get marked as user error.  Just because it works on the developers machine it is assumed to be right.  If it doesn't work on your machine, well tough shit.

> Whether anything is wrong with Gentoo, you're talking to the wrong
> person. ;-) I've never been a Gentoo user/ambassador, and whenever I've
> talked to a temporary Gentoo fan, I have found the benefits of that
> distribution model to be highly doubtful. In particular the amount of
> customising/compiling one really wants to do. You're free to choose, too.

Well back 5 years ago, gentoo was nice not really because of the compilings options so much so as it was for the amount of media formats it supported.  It wasn't any trouble to get mplayer to support everything in the world on gentoo.  Leading edge versions of gnome and X were a plus as well.

> > socket.h:49: error: redeclaration of enumerator 'SOCK_NONBLOCK'
> > /usr/include/bits/socket.h:71: error: previous definition of
> > 'SOCK_NONBLOCK' was here
>
> Actually that used to be a conflict between the Sylpheed library
> socket API and glibc. It's been fixed in Sylpheed 2.6.0 at least.

Yea I couldn't get the 2.6  package to go past automake.  Downloading the source and just doing it that way worked.  It does make the install unmanagble by emerge now.  I'm not going to fiddle with overlays and crap.  I don't really care either.  Heh.

--
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL