[sylpheed:33435] Re: Sylpheed 3.0beta4 sometimes dies when sending mail in an Ubuntu 64bit system - more detail

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Wed Dec 23 19:09:50 JST 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:42:34 +0100
"Andres Bühlmann" <tastas at gmx.net> wrote:

> > I've just moved to a dual core laptop and installed Ubuntu 9.10 64
> > bit.  I compiled Sylpheed 3.0beta4 okay and it's been working well
> > except that every now and then when I'm sending a message Sylpheed
> > crashes/disappears. The message shows in the Sent folder but I need
> > to test and see that the message was actually sent when Sylpheed
> > shut down.
>
> Have you made sure that this is not just the old libenchant bug?

Some progress thanks to your question, Andres.  I tried to look into
the libenchant bug and found references to manually forcing an older
version of libenchant (I have ver 1.5).  I have not found a simple way
to get a deb of libenchant 1.3 or 1.4 and don't want to totally bork
things by messing around with synaptic distribution settings (still
have scars from doing that one before:-) and forcing things there.

So my temporary solution has been to recompile Sylpheed and disable
gtkspell.  This new version without spell checking seems to be working
as it should.  No crashes so far.  I can now write and send more than
one message at a time! :-)  So thanks again.

If anyone can post instructions for how I can install an older version
of libenchant I would be most grateful.

Merry Christmas.  John