[sylpheed:33430] Re: Sylpheed 3.0beta4 always dies when sending mail in an Ubuntu 64bit system - more detail

heymanj at acm.org heymanj at acm.org
Wed Dec 23 06:55:24 JST 2009

On 22 December 2009 at 23:43, John Shane <jslists at mtwafrica.org>wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:07:21 +0200
> Doruk Fisek <dfisek at fisek.com.tr> wrote:
>
> > Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:45:59 +0200, John Shane <jslists at mtwafrica.org> :
> >
> > > Further to the above when I run Sylpheed from a terminal and watch
> > > the output this is what I get.  What is curl?
> > > jshane at js1810T:/$ sylpheed
> > > (sylpheed:21147): Sylpheed-WARNING **: Couldn't execute curl
> > > (sylpheed:21147): Sylpheed-WARNING **: g_spawn_async_with_pipes:
> > > Failed to execute child process "curl" (No such file or directory)
> > > Segmentation fault
> > You should install curl from Ubuntu repositories or turn of update
> > checks in Sylpheed:
> >
> > Configuration -> Details -> Update -> Enable Auto Update Check
>
> Thanks Doruk.  I have installed curl, libcurl3 and libcurl3-gnutls and
> Sylpheed still crashes after sending.  I then disabled "Enable auto
> update check" in the configuration settings.  It still crashes.  Only
> now it just dies with  "Segmentation fault" and no mention of curl. :-)
>
> I dug around in my old setup that uses 3.0beta4 in Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit.
> In that case all is working well and it has "Enable auto update check"
> enabled and libcurl3 and libcurl3-gnutls installed.  (That's why I
> installed the two libcurl3's as well as curl in my 64 bit system.)
>
> Any other ideas?    John

Just curious.  When sylpheed segfaults, do you get a core dump?
You could also run it from within gdb and then when it segfaults you
will be able to see where (using 'whence' command).

Recompile with -g option (also link with -g).  Then in a window, do
$ gdb sylpheed

you'll get the gdb info, and then the > prompt.  At the prompt, do:

> run

And it'll be off and running until such time that it segfaults.

jerry
       //  Jerry Heyman             | "It's not a 'right' if someone else
      //   Amiga Forever :-)        |  has to pay for it" - Ayn Rand
  \\ //    heymanj at acm dot org   |
   \X/     http://www.hobbeshollow.com