[sylpheed:33428] Re: Sylpheed 3.0beta4 always dies when sending mail in an Ubuntu 64bit system - more detail

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Wed Dec 23 06:43:43 JST 2009

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:07:21 +0200
Doruk Fisek <dfisek at fisek.com.tr> wrote:

> Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:45:59 +0200, John Shane <jslists at mtwafrica.org> :
>
> > Further to the above when I run Sylpheed from a terminal and watch
> > the output this is what I get.  What is curl?
> > jshane at js1810T:/$ sylpheed
> > (sylpheed:21147): Sylpheed-WARNING **: Couldn't execute curl
> > (sylpheed:21147): Sylpheed-WARNING **: g_spawn_async_with_pipes:
> > Failed to execute child process "curl" (No such file or directory)
> > Segmentation fault
> You should install curl from Ubuntu repositories or turn of update
> checks in Sylpheed:
>
> Configuration -> Details -> Update -> Enable Auto Update Check

Thanks Doruk.  I have installed curl, libcurl3 and libcurl3-gnutls and
Sylpheed still crashes after sending.  I then disabled "Enable auto
update check" in the configuration settings.  It still crashes.  Only
now it just dies with  "Segmentation fault" and no mention of curl. :-)

I dug around in my old setup that uses 3.0beta4 in Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit.
In that case all is working well and it has "Enable auto update check"
enabled and libcurl3 and libcurl3-gnutls installed.  (That's why I
installed the two libcurl3's as well as curl in my 64 bit system.)

Any other ideas?    John