[sylpheed:33144] Re: Two requests

John Rye jrt746 at clear.net.nz
Sat Aug 29 04:42:28 JST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:34:18 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:43:25 +1200
> John Rye <jrt746 at clear.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > > If not, why can't it go to the most recent truly unread message
> > > (new)?
> >
> > That is a programming issue which is not currently available. It would
> > involve even more sorting by date and I'm not convinced that there
> > would be a great demand ..
>
> I can't imagine not going to the most recent messages by default. Seems
> ordinary.  Paul says Claws works that way, and I know Netscape's
> email client thru 4.x did, which is why Sylpheed, as much as I like it,
> was a surprise in this regard.

I haven't used Claws at all and the last time I used Netscape was at least
10 years ago.

> > > Or, if that can't be done and the first bolded message has to be
> > > the focus, why can't it leave that message in its bolded state,
> > > since the user marked it and thus presumably wants to leave it that
> > > way?
> >
> > It does if you tell it not to open the first unread message when you
> > enter the folder
>
> **There are two types of unread messages, truly unread and marked.
> Sylpheed fails to make the distinction. If it did, then this discussion
> might be moot.**

Ahh, forgot you don't like colour highlighting . New messages are marked
in bold red, marked unread are in bold blue.

> > I don't see the current behaviour as inefficient at all it seems to
> > me to be quite sensible. Aside that, can you point me to any MUA's
> > which behave as you describe?
>
> Everytime I start or "get" the mail, I have to rebold a marked-unread
> message, then scroll down to the bottom of the Inbox where the truly new
> messages are.  Everytime.  The workarounds I know of, such as filtering
> what's seen, require extra steps and aren't specific enough.
>

> > > I'm puzzled about line length, because mine is set to 72.  Is there
> > > something else that needs checking or setting?  Thanks,
> >
> > Yep, Compose dialogue, Edit menu -> 'Auto wrapping' and 'wrap all
> > lines' options which you can set global in Common preferences :-)
>
> I checked 'wrap on input' and 'wrap quotation' before the last send.
> Did they make a difference?  There is no 'Auto wrapping' or 'wrap all
> lines' option under Compose > Editor in the Win32 version.  I didn't
> find it under other headings either, though a vague recollection says
> it used to be somewhere. Any Win32 users able to help?  I really don't
> want to be sending long lines.

ahh forgot again - Windows version :-((

To check on various behaviours - send copies to yourself :-) Old testers'
trick

John NZ