[sylpheed:33143] Re: Two requests

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at peoplepc.com
Sat Aug 29 04:34:18 JST 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:43:25 +1200
John Rye <jrt746 at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> > If not, why can't it go to the most recent truly unread message
> > (new)?
>
> That is a programming issue which is not currently available. It would
> involve even more sorting by date and I'm not convinced that there
> would be a great demand ..

I can't imagine not going to the most recent messages by default. Seems
ordinary.  Paul says Claws works that way, and I know Netscape's
email client thru 4.x did, which is why Sylpheed, as much as I like it,
was a surprise in this regard.

> > Or, if that can't be done and the first bolded message has to be
> > the focus, why can't it leave that message in its bolded state,
> > since the user marked it and thus presumably wants to leave it that
> > way?
>
> It does if you tell it not to open the first unread message when you
> enter the folder

**There are two types of unread messages, truly unread and marked.
Sylpheed fails to make the distinction. If it did, then this discussion
might be moot.**

> I don't see the current behaviour as inefficient at all it seems to
> me to be quite sensible. Aside that, can you point me to any MUA's
> which behave as you describe?

Everytime I start or "get" the mail, I have to rebold a marked-unread
message, then scroll down to the bottom of the Inbox where the truly new
messages are.  Everytime.  The workarounds I know of, such as filtering
what's seen, require extra steps and aren't specific enough.

> > I'm puzzled about line length, because mine is set to 72.  Is there
> > something else that needs checking or setting?  Thanks,
>
> Yep, Compose dialogue, Edit menu -> 'Auto wrapping' and 'wrap all
> lines' options which you can set global in Common preferences :-)

I checked 'wrap on input' and 'wrap quotation' before the last send.
Did they make a difference?  There is no 'Auto wrapping' or 'wrap all
lines' option under Compose > Editor in the Win32 version.  I didn't
find it under other headings either, though a vague recollection says
it used to be somewhere. Any Win32 users able to help?  I really don't
want to be sending long lines.

Gene

Gene